Re: blackboard or whiteboard?

Comments from an old curmudgeon:
I think better and faster when writing with white chalk on a black board.
I believe my students learn more from such a presentation.
The age-old mark of a teacher has always been chalk dust on hands and
suit.
poj

I used to be a chalk diehard and have made all of the above comments at
some
time. I was weaned by a spell of 5 years in a temporary lab where I had to
write on the OHP. I found this physically convenient as I could face the
class while writing, so it made for better communication.
of acetate. In
the new lab I use mainly the whiteboard, and I really don't miss the chalk.
The main advantage is that the place is really *much* cleaner without
layers
of calcium carbonate over everything. It's just aesthetically a lot better.

I use the OHP for transparencies that are prepared from a heat copier.
It's better for problem solutions and going over exam solutions.
Also, best for student presentations of problems
..disadvantage ....writing must be LARGE or it is not legible to all
students plus focusing problems.
..big advantage...you have eye-to-eye contact with students

I use the white board( 4 ft x 3 ft) for assignments hung on a sidewall.
Pretty colors!!

I use the black board for most other stuff. Bought a gross of the railroad
chalk and this stuff makes BIG marks and students have no trouble reading
what I've written. Also use colored board chalk.
Sure the chalk is messy...especially the railroad chalk makes dust all over
everything but that can be cleaned up( I have one of those electrostatic
duster things that I use to clean off surfaces)... The custodian hasn't
complained.
....big disadvantage is your back is to class much of the time and you lose
eye-to-eye contact....

-------bottom line ----- Which method best involves the students in the
process?????????

Larry<<<<<