Re: blackboard or whiteboard?

Comments from an old curmudgeon:
I think better and faster when writing with white chalk on a black board.
I believe my students learn more from such a presentation.
The age-old mark of a teacher has always been chalk dust on hands and suit.
Black ink on hands and clothes is the mark of a printer.
You can't clap two whiteboard erasers together to enable your students to see a
laser beam in a darkened room.
I've told my chairman I cannot teach in a room without blackboards and chalk.

poj

"Spagna Jr., George" wrote:

Here's a new thread ....

"Dry-erase" white-boards are now commonly used, especially in computer-rich
classrooms, supposedly to keep chalk-dust from damaging computer
disk-drives. But, these boards also produce dust, albeit blue and red
instead of white. We've noticed that keyboards in these classrooms develop
colorful patterns over time! Also, the solvent used in the ink in these
markers smells, and some folks may find this an irritant, some may even be
allergic.

Are these boards really "better" in the computer-rich classroom? Is there
any reason to suspect the markers as a potential health hazard?

" ... , the secret of my success is that at an early age
I discovered I was not God." - Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.
George Spagna
Department of Physics
Randolph-Macon College
P.O. Box 5005
Ashland, VA 23005-5505
phone: (804) 752-7344 FAX (804) 752-4724
e-mail: gspagna@rmc.edu
http://www.rmc.edu/~gspagna.html