Re: paramagnetism

I don't think the data exist because the 'right' system probably
doesn't exist. Consider the two families of atoms with unpaired spins,
rare earths and transition metals (3d).

For the rare earths, J is a good quantum number, so the simple theory
you would like to use is applicable. Unfortunately nature has not
supplied rare earths with J=1/2.

For the 3d transition metals, electrostatic effects from the
surrounding crystal structure ('crystal fields') are important. This
has the effect of partially or totally 'quenching' the orbital angular
momentum when L is not zero, so the free-atom J is not an accurate
description of the atom in the lattice. Instead, the effective
magnetic moment is determined by the spin S and the residual orbital
momentum.

The examples taken from Henry are well chosen for illustrative
purposes. Gd3+ with J=7/2 is simple, essentially a free atom in the
crystal. Fe3+ shows J=5/2, fairly exactly, because L=0 already. Cr3+
has S=3/2 and L=3 as a free atom, but susceptibility measurements
indicate a moment consistent with net spin 3/2, so it works OK. The
two ions with S=1/2, Ti3+ and Cu2+ have measured moments that deviate
noticeably (5-10%) from the spin-1/2 calculation, indicating
incomplete quenching.

The situation with the 4d or 5d elements may be more favorable,
although the increasing importance of spin-orbit coupling is a further
complication for them. Also, there is much less experimental data on
these systems.

For these reasons, I don't think you will find spin-1/2 data
comparable to that shown by Henry, although there may be other types
of systems, such as dilute organic free radicals, that would show
simple paramagnetism.

Hope this helps.

Stan

Books on thermal physics and solid-state physics frequently show
data (graphs of magnetization vs. B/T) on saturation of paramagnetic
salts at low temperature. In fact, these books all show the
*same* data, from a 1952 paper by Henry, for systems with
J = 3/2, 5/2, and 7/2. Does there exist similar data for a
J = 1/2 system (which is much easier to analyze mathematically)?
If anyone out there can point me to a reference for such data,
I'll be eternally grateful. Thanks in advance,

Dan Schroeder
dschroeder@cc.weber.edu