Re: Flash & RC circuits

Chuck Britton, in talking about a through-away camera, suggested we get
one at our local photo developer. Thanks for the suggestion. He then
wrote:

Each unit uses a single AA cell to charge a hefty capacitor. The camera is
easy to disassemble and the circuit is fairly straightforward. Just be
careful NOT to get shocked by the high voltage capacitor. (~ 300 volts) We
have evidence at our school that a direct shock is not fatal, but it does
NOT feel good.

The voltage rating of the capacitor is not the critical factor.

It may not be 'critical' but it is IMPORTANT. This little jewel of a
circuit takes the AA 1.5 volts and cranks it up close to the capacitor's
rated voltage of 330 volts. The whine that is heard is the oscillator that
changes dc to ac so the transformer can do its voltage boost thing.

The capacitance is listed as 160uf so the energy stored (= 1/2 CV^2) is
appreciable.

Dr. Richard L. Bowman

britton@odie.ncssm.edu you have forgotten everything
(919) 286-3366 x224 Albert Einstein, 1936