Re: Re[2]: wave momentum

Date: Wed, 17 Mar 1999 10:02:05 -0600
From: Philip Zell <Zell@ACT.ORG>

=For a true shock wave, the medium is disturbed. For instance, with a
=sonic boom there is a region of compressed air, but no region of
=rarefied air (as there is in a normal sound wave). Thus, as the boom
=passes through the air, each little chunk of air ends up displaced from
=its initial position. Although the pressure, average velocity, etc. of
=the air is the same afterwards as before, the position of each chunk
=has changed, and hence it's average velocity (during passage of the
=boom) was non-zero.
=--
=--James McLean

Been a long time since I studied shocks, so I can't provide a lot of detail. As
I write this, I am referring to "Astrophysical Formulae" by K. R. Lang.
Pressure, velocity, and temperature do change across a shock front. I think a
shock is, by definition, a discontinuity.

I thought it was something which changed so abruptly that a discontinuity was
a reasonable mathematical model. If so, then the model wouldn't hold up well
if pushed beyond its reasonable range, and I suspect very close to Mach 1 is
not reasonable, based on McLean's computations (not quoted here) from
Rankine-Hugoniot.

Phil Parker pparker@twsuvm.uc.twsu.edu
Random quote for this second:
Gerrold's Laws of Infernal Dynamics:
1. An object in motion will be heading in the wrong direction.
2. An object at rest will be in the wrong place.