Re: wave momentum

Philip Zell wrote:
Pressure, velocity, and temperature do change across a shock front. I think a
shock is, by definition, a discontinuity. The changes are described by a set of
"jump conditions" called the Rankine-Hugoniot equations. Each equation can be
expressed in terms of the adiabatic gas constant (gamma) and M1, the Mach number
for the gas behind the shock front.

Pressure: P2 / P1 = 1 + [2*gamma*(M1^2 - 1) / (gamma + 1)]

Density: rho2 / rho1 = [1 + ((gamma + 1)/(gamma - 1))*P2/P1] / [((gamma + 1) /
(gamma - 1)) + P2/P1]

Temperature: T2 / T1 = (P2 / P1)[((gamma + 1)/(gamma - 1)) + (P2/P1)] / [1 +
((gamma + 1) / (gamma - 1))*P2/P1]

This is one of the great things about this list: people with different
knowledge bases and viewpoints all adding to the mix. I was actually
thinking of astrophysical shockwaves when I wrote my note a few cycles
back, but I had no idea about these quantities changing.

Would it be correct to view a sonic boom as a shock wave with Mach
number 1? For that special case, I get the above ratios all coming out
to 1.

--
--James McLean
jmclean@chem.ucsd.edu