Re: escape velocity question

At 16:52 3/16/99 -0500, Larry Cartwright wrote:

Chandrasekhar's Stellar Structure (1939)

... Chandra's very first...Do you have an original, or the re-edition
from the 1960's?

My Dover edition shows a 1967 copyright to S.C, but the front text
mentions the Dover edition was first published in 1958.

read the University of Delaware report at
< http://www.udel.edu/PR/UpDate/98/16/cosmic.html >

It was amusing to see this comment at that URL:

" Until now, this theory of stellar structure-developed by the late
astrophysicist Subra[h]manyan Chandresekhar, who won a Nobel Prize
in 1983-was only supported by four error-prone datapoints, each
representing observations of one individual star, Shipman noted. "

These are the very four datapoints in the table I quoted.
The Dover edition was not abridged, but WAS corrected, apparently.

The URL goes on to note CS developed much of his theory on a boat
trip from India to graduate study at Trinity College Cambridge.
I see from other materials, that CS was there from 1933 to 1937.

Brian

brian whatcott <inet@intellisys.net>
Altus OK