Re: Definition of Undergraduate Research

George et al,

I don't mean to deflect this thread from its original direction,
but I think a much more important question is "What is the GOAL of
undergraduate research?"

- Teach the student a bit about research methods?
- Expose the student to the culture of science?
- Test the student's ability to do independent work?
- Give the student something to write on her/his application
when applying to grad school?
- Gain a room full of fancy equipment to impress prospective
students and their parents?
- Get the college a little extra money from the grant
overhead?

If you need a room full of equipment on campus to meet your goal,
then certainly that needs to be included in any definition. I think
once you honestly define your goal, what the research consists of
will follow.

tom

tom