From: Spagna Jr., George
To: PHYS-L
Subject: Definition of Undergraduate Research
Date: Monday, March 15, 1999 10:19AM

At the risk of rehashing an old subject - does anybody have a good,
concise definition of "undergraduate research".

We're looking for something which is applicable across disciplines, and our
internal discussions have devolved into the usual "I can't define it, but I
know it when I see it." Everybody seems to agree that it's a good thing,
though there are some disciplines which claim that research cannot be done
by undergraduates. Obviously, such a stance becomes divisive rather than
helpful.

Thanks in advance for any pointers or good phrases.

" ... , the secret of my success is that at an early age
I discovered I was not God." - Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.
George Spagna
Department of Physics
Randolph-Macon College
P.O. Box 5005
Ashland, VA 23005-5505
phone: (804) 752-7344 FAX (804) 752-4724
e-mail: gspagna@rmc.edu
http://www.rmc.edu/~gspagna.html
------------------------- Original message header:
MAIL FROM:<owner-phys-l@LISTS.NAU.EDU>