escape velocity question

A great question Jonathan. May I put it on my physics final exam (on
Thursday)?
If yes, I would you prefer to have it attributed to you. Is that OK?

Oh, and also a great answer Ka Chun Yu .

Cheers,
Dr. Wm J. Larson
Geneva

I was doing some research on 40 Eridani B (a white dwarf). I read that
it has 37,000 times the surface gravity of the Earth. Since Earth's
escape velocity is 11.2 kilometers per second, the white dwarf's escape
velocity should be 414,400 kilometers per second, exceeding the speed of
light.

Shouldn't this make the star invisible? Perhaps the data is wrong. Or
perhaps the light is just deflected. I've seen the star myself. It's at
9th magnitude.

Help, please!

Jonathan Wojack
tlj18@juno.com