Re: Fuses

On Thu, 11 Mar 1999 21:55:09 -0600 paul o johnson <pojhome@FLASH.NET>
writes:
Herbert H Gottlieb wrote:

Try using a thin strip of tinfoil for your fuse. In the old days
of paper capacitors, we used to take a .02 uF capacitor apart and
cut up the foil into strips. One caution though.... cover the
apparatus with clear plate glass or plastic for safety purposes. When
the
fuse blows, small pieces of hot metal sometimes shoot out of it.

Herbert,

Do you mean aluminum tinfoil or tin tinfoil? Where does one get the
latter?

I think that the foil used in the old capacitors had lead or something
else in it. I have no idea of the exact metal used but we used to call
any kind of foil "tinfoil"

Herb Gottlieb from New York City
(Where cigarette wrappers have changed since Lucky Strike Green went to
war)