Re: wave momentum

At 09:52 3/11/99 -0800, James McLean wrote:

We would undoubtedly be more comfortable with the oscillatory motion of
individual balls in the Newton's Balls demonstration, I'd think.

I don't see that a longitudinal wave carries any momentum either.
The famous "Maxell tape" poster notwithstanding.

When I see an 8 ounce chrome-plate ball lurch forward, I see a movement
I can associate with momentum. Perhaps the issue is the oscillatory
nature of mechanical vibrations? Rather like the oscillatory nature
of the line voltage in the wall socket?

(That's the poster/advertisement with a speaker (presumably at high
volume) producing a wind which blows on a guy in a easy chair, in case
I'm being too obtuse.)

I think 'abstruse' is the word you had in mind.
Nobody claims you are less than acute! :-)

Brian

brian whatcott <inet@intellisys.net>
Altus OK