First Law

I would like to update my First Law web page. There I consider the effects
of various actions on a system: piston, paddle wheel, propane torch, hot
plate, etc. I don't think I have included sufficient actions: all except
the hot plate and the piston are not reversible -- unless one invokes some
magic.

Can list members suggest a macroscopic (read mechanical) action beside the
piston which one could realistically consider reversible??? And maybe
some other more dramatic reversible equivalent to a hot plate???

A quick look at the page might jog some ideas -- and some _private_
comments. (I would like extended comments from those who might send their
students there.)

Please note that I am NOT angling to be drawn into another discussion about
the four-letter word "heat". (:-) Leigh is not here to help. (:-) Just
the gedankin (sp?) examples, please.

TIA

Jim Green
mailto:JMGreen@sisna.com