Re: Disectable Capacitor

I think the word "dielectric" in this discussion is a red herring. The
insulating cup is a dielectric, that's true, but its role in this demo is
as a repository for the excess charge from the capacitor plates. The
polarization of the dielectric increases the capacitance of the device,
that's all. In any explanation of the dissectible capacitor demo, you need
only call the inner glass (or plastic) cup an "insulator".