Re: Elements

Dan Schroeder, doing his <ad hominem> thing, writes:
Besides Ferris (who is only a journalist and doesn't always get his
facts straight), I recommend Weinberg's The First Three Minutes
and, for the brave, Peebles, Principles of Physical Cosmology.

Dan Schroeder
dschroeder@cc.weber.edu
******************************
Au contraire, he is an astronomer. You may contact him by
e-mail at u-c berkeley. He was, as I understand it, a journalist before
he became an astronomer. Perhaps that explains why he is more literate
and careful of his facts than most.
Regards,
Jack

OK, Jack, I'll take your word for it. I remember being rather
unimpressed by the treatment of particle physics in Coming of Age,
though I don't remember details. One thing that struck me about
the whole book was his apparent preference for discussing personalities
more than science. He just had to find something bad to say about
the personality of practically everyone (except perhaps Herschel).
The whole style struck me as that of a journalist rather than a
scientist. As you say, this has its advantages. I do like the
book; I assign a couple chapters of it in one of my own courses

As for Ferris's credentials, I know they let him teach astronomy
at Berkeley, but does this make him an astronomer? After a quick
glance through Coming of Age, I can't find where he actually
explains the logic of element production in the early universe.
Does he?

dan