Re: I did not know this.

On Wed, 24 Feb 1999, David J. Hamilton wrote:

crawford j maccallum writes:

I have a hard time lasting 10 seconds balanced on one foot with eyes
closed. Age 69. Seems to help to imagine myself skiing. Do younger
folks really do better? Crawford

In college I tore ligaments in my right ankle. Since then, I have often
rolled that ankle. A physical therapist told me to try balancing on that
foot with my eyes closed and I found it very difficult (much easier on my
left foot). He said that much of the balancing is done through nerve and
muscle feedback (unrelated to inner ear balance). Apparently, I had
suffered nerve damage which affected that feedback. When I step on an
uneven surface, the slight imbalance causes me to start to tip, I don't
correct fast enough (until my inner ear tells me somethings wrong - too
late), and boom.

Very interesting. I mentioned earlier that I'm (soon to be) 61 and had
difficulty balancing on my right foot with my eyes closed. I sprained my
right ankle so many times as a teenager, that it is still weak. I think
my exerpience fits with the message above.

This is more fun than grading papers!

bob

* bob muir voice: (336) 334-5669 *
* physics & astron. e-mail: bob_muir@uncg.edu *
* unc greensboro http://www.uncg.edu/~muirrob *
* P.O.Box 26170 *
* greensboro, nc 27402-6170 *
"In a completely rational society, the best of us would
aspire to be teachers and the rest of us would have to
settle for something less, because passing civilization
along from one generation to the next ought to be the
highest honor and the highest responsibility anyone could
have." Lee Iacocca