Re: I did not know this.

crawford j maccallum writes:

I have a hard time lasting 10 seconds balanced on one foot with eyes
closed. Age 69. Seems to help to imagine myself skiing. Do younger
folks really do better? Crawford

In college I tore ligaments in my right ankle. Since then, I have often
rolled that ankle. A physical therapist told me to try balancing on that
foot with my eyes closed and I found it very difficult (much easier on my
left foot). He said that much of the balancing is done through nerve and
muscle feedback (unrelated to inner ear balance). Apparently, I had
suffered nerve damage which affected that feedback. When I step on an
uneven surface, the slight imbalance causes me to start to tip, I don't
correct fast enough (until my inner ear tells me somethings wrong - too
late), and boom.