Re: Why "i" for current?

Larry Cartwright wrote:

One should also remember that a lot of scientific nomemclature and
symbolism has been the result of timing, as well as political and national
circumstances.

"current" comes from the Anglicization of the French word "courant".

I have heard that some English texts used "C" for current through much of
the 19th century, perhaps to give the world yet one more expression of
their disdain for the French Academy and its metric system?

It really could be so.
Indeed, I comletely agree with you. After all, science IS a social
phenomenon. One sadly thing that means is that many times its evolution
is conditioned by politicians and their clever decisions...

Regards,
Miguel A. Santos
msantos@etse.urv.es