From: Herbert H Gottlieb <herbgottlieb@JUNO.COM>
To: PHYS-L@LISTS.NAU.EDU <PHYS-L@LISTS.NAU.EDU>
Date: Sunday, February 21, 1999 10:02 PM
Subject: Re: A question on inelastic relativistic collisions

On Sun, 21 Feb 1999 16:56:48 -0500 "L. R. Cartwright (Larry)"
<physics@SCNC.CPS.K12.MI.US> writes:

I thought this issue was resolved in the '50s, and the thermo
community decided that we would call energy "heat" only if it was in a
state of
maximum entropy, i.e. totally disordered; i.e. energy becomes heat
by becoming disordered and the net momentum goes to zero. Ergo, if it's

heat then there's no momentum to consider. Am I missing something here?

I recall that in the 60's, 70's and 80's Zemansky was adament in
defining heat as some kind of energy that is transferred from an object
at a higher temperature to one of lower tgemperature.

Herb Gottlieb from New York City
(Where is is getting cold now and more cold is forcast for the next few
days)