Re: A question on inelastic relativistic collisions

Larry,
The arguments for the formulas I put up were made on the basis
that heat is not just pure Energy but also carries some momentum. When
Einstein and Planck (actually Planck first) made their calculations
based on the first law of thermo, they required a "fake force" that
carried the momentum. However, the first law considers heat to be pure
energy. this argument was made in the 1940's by H. Ott and the
reference is
D.L. Steinert "An evaluation of relativistic thermodynamics"
(Ph.D. thesis - 1969 - Mich. State)
this may be a little hard to get a hold of for a high school teacher but
if there is a local college nearby with an interlibrary loan office they
may be able to track down a copy. In fact, I think my undergrad college
got it from Cornell.
I am sorry that I can offer no more than this. It is too far
gone from me now to offer any more than this as an explanation. Other
theories by others, P.T. Landsberg (previously mentioned by someone
else) and C. Moeller are more complex. Landsberg's arguments rely on a
relativistically corrected first law and an argument that the partition
function is invariant. Too much to explain here and back then.
Another reason for so much confusion is trying to correctly
define heat and work. Also, what do we consider in the system. Ott
only considered a gas, while Planck and Einstein a gas and a container
(where I believe their force came from) It is very hard to understand
so I will let you read up on the material.
Here are the rest of my references for any one who wants to look them up
J. Bicak "A note on relativistic heat engines" Lett. Nuovo Cimento
vol.1 p.302-304, 1969
F.C. Jones "Relativity, heat and 'fictitious' forces" Nuovo Cimento
vol.57B p.307-314, 1968
P.T. Landsberg "Special relativistic thermodynamics: a review" 1969
Pittsburgh Symposium, in a "Critical review of Thermodynamics" Mono
Corp., Baltimore 1970
P.T. Landsberg and K.A. Johns "A relativistic generalization of
thermodynamics" Nuovo Cimento vol.52B p.28-44, 1967
P.T. Landsberg and K.A. Johns "Work and heat in special relativity" J.
Phys. Soc. Japan vol. 26, Supp. p.310-312, 1969
C. Moeller "Thermodynamics in the special and general theory of
relativity" in "Old and New Problems in Elementary Particles" Academic
Press, New York (1968)
P.J.E. Peebles and D.T. Wilkinson "Comment on the anisotropy of the
primeval fireball" Phys. Rev. 174 2168-2170 (1968) (Before it split
into the different volumes - if not then most likely a Phys. Rev. Lett.)
P.J.E. Peebles "Cosmic black-body radiation" Astrophys.J. vol. 142
p.414-419 (1965)
N.G. van Kampen "Relativistic thermodynamics of moving systems" Phys.
Rev. vol. 173 p.295-301 (1968)
N.G. van Kampen "Relativistic thermodynamics" J. Phys. Soc. Japan vol.
26, Supp. p.295-301, 1969

Hope that helps.

Sam Held