Re: A question on inelastic relativistic collisions

Ed Schweber wrote:
objects themselves. If different observers measure different changes in KE,
but the same change in temperature they must also measure different specific
heats.

Why should they measure the same temp.? They won't in general.
Miguel A. Santos

Well, you were refering to 'temp. change' not just temp. I see,
my reply was not adequate.
However, I expect both observers will measure different temps both
before and after the collision. I expect the ratio of their measurements
will depend on gamma=sqrt[1-(v/c)**2] in the same way as the ratio of the
temp. changes they measure.
I got this asuming the equipartition theorem and applying a naive
rescaling of mass and velocity within the average of KE, when
both observers move with relative velocity v along the x direction.

As KE is different for both observers so will be the temperature. For
both changes to be equal, the temperature should just rise/drop
in a given amount depending on v. As temp is proportional to mean KE,
I do not expect that.

Miguel A. Santos