Re[2]: TEST,delete:

Ergodicity is discussed in stat mech. It has to do with the behaviors
of ensembles of particles at or near equilibrium.

Philip Zell

Subject: Re: TEST,delete:
Author: "phys-l@lists.nau.edu: Forum for Physics Educators"
<PHYS-L@LISTS.NAU.EDU> at Internet
Date: 2/7/99 6:46 AM

Test response: I found Miguel's use of the word "Ergodicity" remarkable.
To confirm its meaning, it was insufficient to consult a paperback
dictionary of Science nor one on Physics.
A Concise Oxford was fruitless, and two other single volume dictionaries
proved barren. A Three volume Unabridged Webster's Third International was
needed to
confirm the statistically predictable nature of such samples....

Brian
brian whatcott <inet@intellisys.net>
Altus OK

I didn't know that Webster's dictionary could have such a word.
It seems I really bought a fine dictionary for only $13.

Obviously, I'm not the first in using 'ergodicity' in such a way.
Literature must be plenty of examples. See for instance
M. San Miguel & R. Toral in "Stochastic Effects in Physical
Systems", edited by E.Tirapegui and W. Zeller; Kluwer Academic,
Dordrecht, 1997. You can also download it from xxx.lanl with
the reference cond-mat-9707147. Surely references therein will
also that use of ergodicity.

Regards,
Miguel A. Santos