Re: Fields can be nonlinear

John Gastineau wrote:
Any Nd:YAG laser that has a green output has a doubling crystal.
Essentially, think of a Taylor series expansion of the response of
the crystal to the intense electric field, and include the E^2 term.

In my mind linearity or non-linearity applies to a relation
between two physical quantities, such as V and I in an electric
diode.

What do you mean by the "response of the crystal"? In other
words do x and y stand for in the Taylor series expansion?

Does the term "crystal" refer to the lasing medium or to a
device which receives IR light from the Nd:YAG laser and
turns some of it into visible light?

Ludwik Kowalski