Re: Alternating Current

Hi all-
I think it was Ken Watson who used to say: No 2 people can communicate.
James McLean writes:
Could you justify your version of the uncertainy principle here?

It seems to me that if we allow arbitrarily precise measurement of a signal
known to be sinusoidal, and allow as many samples as desired, then the
frequency can be determined to arbitrary precision with an arbitratily
short sample.
************************
The delt t in the uncertainty principle is the sample length times
the number of samples. The question is ill-posed, however, since "if the
signal is known to be sinusoidal" it has already been sampled over an infinite
lenngth of time - a conclusion that dispels the possibility of a real
experiment.
Regards,
Jack

"I scored the next great triumph for science myself,
to wit, how the milk gets into the cow. Both of us
had marveled over that mystery a long time. We had
followed the cows around for years - that is, in the
daytime - but had never caught them drinking fluid of
that color."
Mark Twain, Extract from Eve's
Autobiography