Re: Conserving Q/Faraday

William Beaty wrote:

Clarification: by "net charge" do you mean that the dielectric slab as
a whole has been given an excess of electrons? (or deficiet)

Yes.

Or do you mean that the dielectric slab has been injected with actual
charged particles of equal and opposite polarity ("net charges" as
opposed to "induced ferroelectric alignment of the dielectric")?

The alignments can not produce a net charge in a uniform field; the net
Q must enter the dielectric one way or another. Did it enter when the
slab was in the E field or when we were removing it from Al electrodes?
Than is the questions for which we have no answer so far.

You previous comments, Bill, were interesting. Some of the precautions,
such as avoiding sharp edges, etc., were already taken. The idea of
sending a beam of polarized light would be applicable (at least in
principle) to demonstrate the existence of E. But how can it help to
demonstrate the existence of a net charge?

Ludwik Kowalski