Re: astronomical vs. terrestial telescopes

On Mon, 25 Jan 1999, Carl E. Mungan wrote:

In class today, I said that terrestial telescopes have the advantages of
being more compact than astronomical (refracting) telescopes and producing
erect images. So somebody put up their hand and asked why *all* refracting
telescopes, and microscopes for that matter, aren't made with a diverging
rather than a converging eyepiece?

For a given power, the Galilean (terrestrial) telescope is shorter than
the Kelperian (astronomical) telescope, by an amount 2f_e where f_e is the
focal length of the eyelens.

Frankly I'm not sure of the answer. I said that I supposed that convex
lenses are cheaper than concave lenses. But are there other reasons -
eg. Would a diverging eyepiece have to be larger in diameter than a
converging eyepiece? (I would think not.) Perhaps the fact that real
telescopes and microscopes are more complicated than the simple two-lens
textbook models (in order to minimize aberrations) favors convex lenses?
(Is there such a thing as aspheric concave lenses? If not, why not?)

I doubt there's much cost difference between convex and concave lenses.

The Keplerian telescope inverts the image, which isn't a problem for
astronomical uses. You just invert the sky maps. Or, at the expense of
increased length of the tube, you can insert a positive "inverting" lens
between objective and eyelens. Or, you can use mirrors or prisms to
re-invert the image, as in true binoculars, terrestrial "spotting" scopes
or high powered scopes for bird-watchers.

The Keplerian telescope has a well-defined exit pupil, a small virtual
aperture through which all the emergent rays pass. This is usually made
smaller than the eye's pupil, so that all the light goes into the eye, and
the eye can be kept at that one fixed position.

The Galilean telescope has no exit pupil, so the outer part of the image
misses going into the eye. The eye pupil size limits the field of view.
However, by moving the position of the eye one can see different parts of
the field, but this is tedious and impractical. Therefore decent fields of
view are obtained only at low powers of 3 or 4. Higher powers are simply
not practical with this design.

By the way, are reflecting telescopes ever constructed to be erect (by
using a diverging eyepiece)? And is there such a thing as a reflecting
microscope?

Not practical, for the lack of an exit pupil would give this the same
disadvantage as the Galilean telescope. Prisms, mirrors, or inverting
positive lenses are used.

Yes, microscope objectives are available which use concave mirrors, much
as short-barrel telephoto lenses do.

Finally, in lab we measure experimentally the magnification of a telescope
by holding up a ruler at arm's length and looking through the telescope
with the other eye. I've tried to do similar things with a microscope, but
it's hard to do, as are alternatives like trying to draw the size of the
image on the eyepiece. Is there a workable way to experimentally estimate
the magnification of an approximately 2X microscope (suitable for a
low-cost introductory lab)?

It's difficult (read "frustrating") with any decent power microscope. But
with a 2X this might work. You must ensure that the image is at the same
distance as the reference object, perhaps at the near point of the eye,
otherwise the results will be inaccurate due to parallax between the
things you are comparing. Most students find this process difficult to
comprehend and difficult to perform.

I suggest an experiment with the simple magnifier instead, verifying the
usual formulae given in books for the image at the near point, and also
the formula for the image at infinity, then challenge students with the
task of deriving, and verifying, the formula for the simple magnifier with
the image at, say 1 meter. Most students never grasp angular
magnification, nor understand the derivation of the formula for angular
magnification of the simple magnifier. The answers, with discussion, can
be found on my web page in the document "Insight questions". There's also
a discussion of why we define angular magnification as we do, and why we
do it for images at infinity for the telescope, but with images at the
near point of the eye for the microscope.

I'd welcome private e-mail to discuss this if these comments were too
sketchy.

Dr. Carl E. Mungan, Assistant Professor http://www.uwf.edu/~cmungan/
Dept. of Physics, University of West Florida, Pensacola, FL 32514-5751
office: 850-474-2645 (secretary -2267, FAX -3323) email: cmungan@uwf.edu

-- Donald

Donald E. Simanek
dsimanek@eagle.lhup.edu http://www.lhup.edu/~dsimanek