Re: First Law????

From the APS News Brief page:

4. PODKLETNOV GRAVITY SHIELD: NASA INVESTS ANOTHER $600,000.

The Small Business Innovation Research grant went to Superconductive
Components in Columbus, OH to make a 12-inch superconductive disk for an
experimental shield. It's a coveted Phase II award, which goes to the top
projects.

A 6-inch shield built under Phase I didn't work (WN 15 May 98), but NASA,
which has been working on this for 4 years, hopes a bigger one will. The
Columbus Dispatch quotes a NASA official: "Let your imagination run wild.
What could you do if you could cut gravity 50 percent or negate it
altogether?" Well, for one thing you could build a perpetual motion
machine, in violation of the First Law of Thermodynamics.

Anyone know what this is about???

Anyone want to comment on the understanding of Thermo at the APS????

Just because I can design a powerful Perpetual Motion machine of the Second
Kind (free energy) by using a bucket of magnetic monopoles and Maxwell's
Equation (as currently taught) does *NOT* rule out the possibility of the
existence of such things. When (if?) monopoles are verified, then we'll
need to 'fix' our theory by adding a monopole current term (as well as the
more obvious monopole DENSITY term) to make the Equations more symmetric.
This will fix the first law.

IF (when?) this gravity shielding effect is verified, we will 'just' have
to 'fix' our currently poor understanding of gravity.

by the way, the somewhat snide signoff

(Note: Opinions are the author's and are not necessarily shared by the APS,
but they should be.)

is provided by the APS author (not *ME*)!

It's no accident that stressed Chuck Britton
spelled backwards is desserts. britton@odie.ncssm.edu