Re: First Law????

On Sat, 23 Jan 1999, Donald E. Simanek wrote:

But, I ask, would a gravity shield (if possible) actually make a perpetual
motion machine possible? If so, let's see your design of the machine.

This was greatly discussed on sci.physics during the "Tampere antigravity"
controversy. If a gravity shield conserves energy, then the shielded
region above the spinning superconductor disk will have an immense energy
barrier which prevents entry of objects. In order to push an object into
a 100% shielded region, we essentially would need to do the work to lift
the object to infinite height. If an object in the sheilded region was to
drift into contact with the barrier, it would be expelled with the same
velocity as if it had fallen from infinite height. Don't stand too close
to the device, or you'll be hit by a "sideways meteor."

The question is, did Podkletnov's results detect the presence of a barrier
around the column-shaped region of low-weight? The rumor I've heard is:
no. Also, the phenomenon was discovered when it caused smoke from a pipe
to be pulled into an updraft above the superconductor apparatus. There's
an example of anomalous work being done right there.

Perhaps there is a quantum-gravity torque force between the rotating
superconductor and any object being inserted into the shielded region.
In other words, the spinning superconductor disk would be slowed whenever
an object was inserted, and the superconductor disk performs the work in
"lifting" the object to that "virtual height."

Or maybe the darned thing is a perpetual motion machine. Stick the rim of
a vertically-oriented bicycle wheel into the shielded region, watch it
accelerate, then stick a loaded electrical generator on the shaft of the
bicycle wheel to keep it at a sane speed.

Or maybe it's a case of Pathological Science. Do we gamble on high-stakes
longshot bets, or do we make sure to stay safe and not risk wasting bucks
on low-probability outcomes?

billb@eskimo.com http://www.amasci.com