Re: vector quantities and energy

Maybe another approach might be to consider how the quantities momentum and
energy are transferred from one object to another. When momentum is
transferred through a collision, direction is very important. A collision
that is entirely in the horizontal plane cannot produce any vertical
momentum--collisions on a pool table being an example (although then you
must discuss how and why sometimes you can have a ball jump off the table).
On the other hand, kinetic energy can be transferred into forms that clearly
have no direction (thermal energy for example). In fact the thermal energy
in a room full of air depends on the kinetic energy of the molecules even
though the average _velocity_ of these molecules is zero. This is a
somewhat less mathematical approach to the question.

Rick

***********************
Richard W. Tarara
Associate Professor of Physics
Department of Chemistry & Physics
Saint Mary's College
Notre Dame, IN 46556
rtarara@saintmarys.edu

Free Physics Instructional Software:

NEW WIN 95/98/NT SOFTWARE NOW AVAILABLE!

see http://www.saintmarys.edu/~rtarara/ for details.