Re: Airfoil lift, new article

On Thu, 14 Jan 1999, William Beaty wrote:

I don't know if PHYS-L people really would want to get involved with that
discussion, because we can talk forever and not convince anyone. To
convince them, they must confront the fact that they've been visualizing
the physics of flight incorrectly, as well as angrily defending an
incorrect premise. And these people are pilots! It's far easier to
convince a non-expert that their pre-existing concepts are actually
misconceptions! :)

I had such a discussion about 6 months ago in the flight simulator
group I belong to (I quit actual flying many years ago due to the high
costs). The heated discussion was with a CFI pilot who now has been hired
by an airline. Nothing I could do would ever convince him that the
Bernoulli equation can be derived from Newton's laws. Even when
confronted with the idea of a symmetrical airfoil and inverted flight he
stuck with his notion of pressure differences as the only route to explain
lift.
And I used to think I could generalyy teach anybody some physics
:)

Mike Monce
Connecticut College