"Visible" Sonic shock wave

A colleague showed me a photo on the web today. It purports to show an
F-4 Phantom at an air show "in the act" of breaking the sound barrier.
It shows one large and a smaller "shock cone"? of perhaps condensed
moisture radiating out from the aircraft.

If this is really what is happening...

I Can anyone shed light on the cause? My guess is that the shock wave
caused condensation in very humid air?

II Would this really be a transient event? Since the shock wave is
formed continuously as long the aircraft is exceeding the speed of
sound, wouldn't this effect be continuous?

I'll admit to being pretty ignorant of this area. My sound unit begins
in a few weeks. Certainly could be an interesting introductory photo.

You can view the picture at

http://www.artbell.com/images/jetbarrier.jpg

And, no, I am not an Art Bell fan.

Dave