GFI limitation (!)

At 12:55 PM -0500 1/10/99, L. R. Cartwright (Larry) wrote:

The most important thing is: ONLY use your device in a GFI protected
outlet. Anyone whose lab doesn't have ground fault interrupt protection
needs to talk to your building administrator(s) right away. It's code
everywhere in the US that gfi's be installed in any room with plumbing.
Gfi's aren't very expensive, and pretty effectively eliminate the
direct-path-to-ground concerns.

Don't count on a GFI to protect us from our own stupidity!

Some of us do the 'Glowing Pickle' with 120VAC and a GFI won't do SQUAT to
protect someone who accidently touches the two bare forks. The current is
just as happy making the PERSON glow as it is with the pickle.

A GFI only protects us when the current path is to an improper ground
instead of to the (grounded) Neutral wire.

Always err on the safe side.
Our demo's should follow the KISS principle.

Keep It Simple and Safe!

britton@odie.ncssm.edu you have forgotten everything
(919) 286-3366 x224 Albert Einstein, 1936