Strike a blow for energy conservation

For those of you who are experiencing this extended cold period, I'd like
to suggest something that will encourage energy conservation, get science
into the public sector.
When it is sub-freezing for so long, it is a pretty good bet that the
icicles that form on buildings are due to poor insulation, since there
isn't any other thermal source which could melt the snow and form ice.
I have found that the local newspaper, which has run out of things to say
about the weather, may be interested in running a story about how physics
can help people be aware of the quality of a building insulation. Many
years ago a small piece in our local South Bend paper got on the AP wire,
and showed up all over the country, leading to an even larger spread in a
subsequent issue of the local paper. Its a good topic for people to know
about, and a good way to show that science is good for something locally.

There are other ways to spin this as well:
Poor insulation forming icicles is likely to result in an ice dam at the
edge of the roof, so that further melting creates a pool of water on the
roof which will leak into the house and be quite destructive.

People who rent and pay for their own heat have few ways do demonstrate
that the insulation in their building is inadequate. They can do it now.

Other tips.
To evaluate the quality of insulation in your home, hold a thermometer an
inch or so away from a wall and measure the temperature. The do it in the
center of the room. If the difference is more than 5 degrees, something
needs to be done.
You can make an easy tool for checking for air leaks...a big energy loss
mechanism. Just hang a sheet of toilet tissue from your finger or from a
pencil and hold it close to the joint about a window or door...you can
easily see the flow.

For those who teach residential students, you could create a nice little
research project by having students evaluate their own homes.

just some thoughts on a chilly morning.

joe bellina