Re: VanderGraaff safety (fwd)

On Wed, 6 Jan 1999, Raymond A. Rogoway wrote:

circuit with a wire from each terminal of a standard 1.5V cell with a
switch in one lead. He then soaked his hands in salt water and then
inserted one wire into the palm on one hand and the other wire into the
palm of the other hand.

If he poked the wires INTO his skin, he would bypass the large skin
resistance, and probably could kill himself.

Here's something I did once, while looking for new types of
demonstrations: placed a metal spoon in my mouth, touched one terminal of
a 9v battery with a wet finger, then touched the other terminal to the
spoon handle. I hoped to produce a sudden bad taste in my mouth.
Instead, I saw a flash of "darkness" each time the battery touched the
spoon! The tiny current was affecting my eyes and/or brain! Yeeeesh, not
an experiment I care to repeat anytime soon.

billb@eskimo.com http://www.amasci.com