Re: a physics textbook error, a late reaction

Dear Willem,
Thank you for your detailed historical tour through the
publishing of researches associated with Ohms "law".
However, after reading it, I am left with a concern on how
much of the original result was looking at whether various
substances conducted electricity and how well they did it
and whether any of it directly impinged on the "law". As
you write

Around 1825 Ohm used a
Voltaic pile
and a primitive galvanometer to establish the conductivity
of wires
made out
of different metal. He found the following conductivity "scale"
copper, gold,
silver, zinc, brass, iron, platinum, tin, lead, copper being ten
times
"better" than lead at conducting electricity. His scale was
flawed,
among
other things because of a large impurity content in the silver
wires.
Nevertheless this was the very first recorded measurement of
conductivity

Now what Ohm's Rule of Thumb (Yes, I agree most strongly
with you, Chuck) is that there is a linear relation between
potential drop and current. Did Ohm explicitly come to that
conclusions from his research?

Again, you write

his conclusions were published in 1827 in his
book "Die
galvanische Kette" (The galvanic circuit). In this book the notion
of
"potential drop" is first introduced and what we now know
as "Ohm's
law" is
for the first time enunciated in a more or less recognizable form.

I'd very much like to see what this "more or less
recognizable" form was. What worries me is that the range
of the proportionality is so restricted that I wonder how
Ohm derived it from his readings.

His early work you refer to seems only to be with the
conductivity of different metals.

You write about later work
,
In later experiments Ohm used a
bismuth-copper
thermocouple at a temperature difference of 100° C as a current
source, a
suggestion made by Poggendorf. He conducted an extensive series of
measurements

Did his formulation of his law become more recognizable in
this work?

Brian McInnes