Re: Physics of boomerangs...

Greetings everyone. I don't have a whole lot of time to respond, so for now
I'll try to keep this short and try to reply to a few messages that I've
received.
A good website to get started for more info is at: www.usba.org You can
also use one of the search engines (www.metacrawler.com) and just type in
boomerangs or another one to type in is Boomerang News. Boomerang News is a
newsletter put out by Ted Bailey who lives in Michigan.
I'm also a member of the USBA (United States Boomerang Assoc.) and compete
right along with Gary. As a matter of fact I'm over there just about every
weekend helping him out. Gary is an unbelievable athlete and holds 4 world
records in the boomerang competitions. The main reason Gary got started in
boomerangs was not just because of his interest, but for his children. Gary
became a single father with 5 children, all under the age of five, twins in
diapers, and two children with a critical disease of cystic fibrosis (c.f.). He
wanted to stay home to take care of his family, but needed a means to do so, so
he started up his own business. To make matters worse this past year, while I
was helping him with one of his demos this past summer, he and his son just got
back from the doctor. His one son, who has c.f., must have a lung transplant in
about a year. I just talked to Gary this past weekend and his son is still in
the hospital for a "clean out". If his blood oxygen doesn't get much higher, he
will have to carry around an oxygen tank...he just celebrated his 11th b-day.
Gary does make a profit, but nearly all of it goes toward his family and
doctor/hospital bills, but now it is becoming impossible for him to meet the
needs of his family.
Again, Gary is an unbelievable speaker/presenter. I can guarantee you will
not regret having him to your function.
I've been typing up some stuff for Gary. When I'm done, I'll post them. If
anyone has any questions, I'd highly recommend checking out the USBA webpage or
just ask me.

Dwight

William (Bill) Weiler wrote:

Southern Illinois University at Edwardsville was host this past summer to
the International Boomerang Festival which featured individuals and teams
from all over the world. Most of the competitions were free this summer on
our soccer fields and drew thousands of spectators to see the events.
Gary Braodbent was one of the competitors and I agree with Dwight, until
you have seen a four foot boomerang thrown and fly through the air, you
cannot believe anything can move that slowly and gracefully while remaining
in flight. Our local chapter of AAPT had a boomerang demonstration several
years ago by a gentleman from St. Louis. He also described the Physics and
then demonstrated his products. He also made goodly profit. I would highly
recommend this topic for any Science Seminar-Assembly.