NISE Fellow Opportunity

If interested please respond to NISE, not to me or the list!!!!

FELLOW OPPORTUNITY
NATIONAL INSTITUTE FOR SCIENCE EDUCATION (NISE)

The National Institute for Science Education (NISE), funded by the
National
Science Foundation and based at the University of Wisconsin-Madison, has
openings for 2-3 one-year Fellows for the 1999-2000 College Level One
(CL-1) Institute.* The 1999-2000 CL-1 Institute will address the use of
technology in introductory undergraduate science, mathematics,
engineering,
and technology (SMET) courses.

The CL-1 Institute brings together nationally recognized post-secondary
SMET faculty and education researchers to synthesize knowledge in critical
areas of undergraduate SMET education. This knowledge will be
disseminated
in forms designed for SMET faculty seeking to improve their students'
learning.

The goal of the CL-1 Technology Institute is to provide faculty with
"principles of best practice" for the use of technology in introductory
SMET courses for both majors and non-majors. The work of this CL-1
Technology Institute will directly support the NSF's planned "SMETE
Library," a digital library designed to support undergraduate education.

Fellows are expected to have a record of research and/or extensive
classroom practice related to the use of technology in introductory SMET
courses. Responsibilities will include: research and writing to produce a
synthesis of present knowledge and a set of principles of best practice;
creation of dissemination tools for post-secondary faculty and
administrators; organization of seminars and symposia; and extensive
interaction with other Fellows and NISE members.

Requirements are a doctorate in science, mathematics, engineering, social
science, or education. Possible candidates include faculty who teach SMET
courses, with experience using technology in their classrooms; education
researchers with an expertise in instructional technology; and members of
faculty development programs. Residence at UW-Madison is preferred. We
will begin to review applications on January 31, 1999, and will continue
review applications that are submitted until all our positions are filled.

Please visit our Website for further information and application
instructions: <www.wcer.wisc.edu/nise/nise_fellows/cl1_team_fellows.html>.

* We anticipate that one of these Fellows will have expertise in the area
of high-performance computing and be supported by the Education, Outreach
and Training component of the NSF-funded Partnership for Advanced
Computational Infrastructure.

Kate Loftus Fahl
Science Writer/Dissemination
College Level One Team
National Institute for Science Education
1025 West Johnson Street, Suite 735
Madison, WI 53706
tel. 608-263-5681
fax 608-262-7428