Re: Falling pellets

Jim,
I'm not going to check your Stokes' law calculation on a
balmy Sunday afternoon here in the hills behind Sydney.
However let's assume the terminal speed is 337 m/s. To
reach this speed, without air resistance the pellet would
have to have been falling for about 30 seconds! (time =
(change in speed)/ acceleration) In that time ut would
have traveled more than 4 km (distance = 0.5 acceleration
(time squared))! Those figures seem to indicate that if the
terminal speed of a pellet is 337 m/s, then terminal speed
calculations are not relevant to falling pellets from
shotguns discharged towards the zenith.
Brian McInnes
----------
Jim Pengra wrote:
I was interested in the risk due
to the
falling pellets from a shotgun discharged toward the zenith. I
assumed that
they would come down with nearly terminal velocity, so Stokes' Law
should
give a reasonable estimate of their speed. For lead pellets with a
diameter
of 1 mm, I calculated (to my surprise) that the terminal velocity
would be
337 m/sec.