Re: MOMENT OF INERTIA

At 00:24 12/18/98 -0500, Bob wrote:
The most instructive comparison is among rolling objects of the same mass
and the same rolling radius, but of different moments of inertia. ...
The object with the
smallest moment of inertia,I, will develop the largest speed V....
Bob Sciamanda

The next step is to consider letting both of them run along the
flat floor at the foot of the ramp.
Which is likely to travel further, I wonder?

Brian Whatcott
brian whatcott <inet@intellisys.net>
Altus OK

...in Sep 96 this topic was briefly discussed on PHYS-L and I created a
small web page showing the classical mathematical derivation of final
object speed rolling after descending the ramp. It may still be germane
to those unfamiliar with these problem and is worth teaching if you
use derivations in your introductory mechanics class. (I do sometimes).
I like this derivation as it uses mathematical insights based on
a simple but profound idea (conservation of energy) to examine nonintuitive
results.

http://purcell.phy.nau.edu/danmac/rolling/

No, it does not address the much more difficult problems that have
since arisen in this discussion.

Dan M

Dan MacIsaac, Assistant Professor of Physics and Astronomy, Northern AZ Univ
danmac@nau.edu http://www.phy.nau.edu/~danmac PHYS-L list owner