Re: MOMENT OF INTERTIA

I think you made a typo...or I don't understand what you said. Karl

Another question from a high school student:

If one starts with a hoop and thinks about gradually filling in the
inside of the hoop with mass until it eventually looks like a disk, one
is certainly increasing the moment of intertia of the object. The effact
of the above transformation is to produce an object which will roll ever
faster down a given incline. I can show this easily mathematically but
is there an intuitive way of explaining why this happens? My students
understand the mathematics but seem to need a non mathematical argument
too.

Any help is appreciated. David Abineri

--
David Abineri dabineri@choice.net

Dr. Karl I. Trappe Desk Phone: (512) 471-4152
Physics Dept, Mail Stop C-1600 Demo Office: (512) 471-5411
The University of Texas at Austin Home Phone: (512) 264-1616
Austin, Texas 78712-1081