Re: General Theory of Relativity

At 01:45 PM 12/11/98 -0500, kevin sonntag wrote:
>I have a question if anyone has ideas on how to present to introductory
>level students , the concept of  when two objects are approaching each
>other close to the speed of light that their combined speed between them
>cannot be greater than the speed of light. I have tried to relay the
>concept to my students, but I am not reaching them.
>Any help would be great
>
>Kevin Sonntag
>KHS

Kev,

Is this an isolated question, where the student has seen something on TV or the movies and asked you how the thing could be, or is this a question in response to a lesson you are teaching on special relativity?

Usually, one covers time dilation and length contraction in a high school course.  After that has been trotted out, one can look at relative velocities between two moving reference frames.  The equation for that was provided by the good Prof Marlow in his response.  Just about any text that covers special relativity will probably deal with this particular situation.

I find that my students are fascinated by relativity and have a heck of a good time dealing with its eccentricities.

Good luck.

Glenn

Physics Kahuna
Kahuna Physics Institute - on the flapping edge of physics research.