Re: General Theory of Relativity

At 13:45 12/11/98 -0500, you wrote:
I have a question if anyone has ideas on how to present to introductory
level students , the concept of when two objects are approaching each
other close to the speed of light that their combined speed between them
cannot be greater than the speed of light. I have tried to relay the
concept to my students, but I am not reaching them.
Any help would be great

Kevin Sonntag
KHS

Describing this scenario in Newtonian terms is not helpful.
They are not approaching each other at near light speed (absolute);
rather, an observer might measure both their speeds as near
light speed on reciprocal headings, but each will observe a
different speed for the other because the additive speed
addition rule does not apply at the high speed limit.

Brian
brian whatcott <inet@intellisys.net>
Altus OK