Re: Radians, dimensions, & explanations

Ludwik Kowalski wrote:
James McLean wrote that the concept of the angle is special in
terms of being intrinsically dimentionless. I do not think so.

Perhaps the messages got scrabled? I just said that none of your examples
were convincing to me as being *unitless*. Consider:
25 degrees C
= 0.25 (of the temp difference between boiling and freezing)
How is this different from
= 25 (of 0.01 times the temp difference between boiling and freezing)
which is precisely what "25 degrees" C means?

Unit of length was defined as a distance between two lines on a
chosen stick. ...
Now that sounds like you are talking about *units* again, rather than
dimensions. Come to think of it, I'm not sure how I would define
'dimension'. Jack (I think?) gave a fine description of how one might
decide on different base dimensions, but I don't think we've seen a
definition of 'dimension' itself. Any takers?

--
--James McLean
jmclean@chem.ucsd.edu