Re: Newton's 2nd law Lab

-----Original Message-----

With this group the pulley SIMPLY changes the
direction
of the force from vertical to horizontal.

The *tape* changes direction when it is run over the pulley. The only way
to change the direction of a force applied by a fixed agency is by applying
some other (noncolinear) force to add to it. Do you think that this is
beyond intro students' understanding? (I'm not sure I want to hear the
answer to that one.)

Hear it! The answer is almost certainly YES.

So the students must wait, yet again, until some later course find out how
they were swindled in their introductory course? For a concept as
fundamental as N2 is to introductory physics, I hope that this is not what
others would advocate.

This is (it seems to me) a typical theorists point of view--'we _swindle_
students by not dealing with all the minute and often complicated details'.
Well I know of no intro text that deals with the details of how the pulley
'rotates' the vertical force of the falling weight into a horizontal force,
but there are generations of students who have worked with the modified
Atwood's machine 'as commonly presented'. I wonder how swindled they are
feel!

This whole discussion does reaffirm a belief I've had since my college days
(long ago). Theorists should be kept VERY far away from the introductory
courses. ;-)

Rick