Re: Nuclear Physics lab equipment

Russ Hilleke wrote:

Our department is interested in establishing a Nuclear
Physics teaching lab with a view toward possibly teaching
a Nuclear Physics course at some point in the future. I
would appreciate hearing anyone's opinion of radiation
detection systems that are commercially available; in
particular: 1) the Gamma Spectrometer System (SE-9764)
with the alpha/beta detector (SE-9782) sold by Pasco, and
2) the ICS 10-PC gamma spectroscopy system available
from Spectrum Techniques.

I would also appreciate hearing opinions of textbooks on
Nuclear Physics and any other suggestions you might offer.

Thanks

Russ Hilleke
The Citadel

Russ;

I recently obtained a ICS 10-PC from Spectrum Techniques. The
NaI(Tl)/PM system is doing a very good job for what I needed it for. We
(my 2nd year Physics calss and I) have gone through the suggested labs
that came with the system and found no surprises. The new Windows
software is available from their web-site and is much easier than the
DOS version that ships with the system.

If I can answer any specifics for you I will be happy to do so.

pete lohstreter
NG-MST
petel@tenet.edu