Re: Inquiery based learning

Inquiry based learning is only the latest and greatest science teaching
fads to sweep the nation.... In addition to being a full time teacher of
physics, I am also the "Secondary Science Facilitator" for our district

Everyone can be assured that there is no great chance of large scale
reform in science education. I spent an entire year as a consultant observing
secondary classes unannounced. In only two of the 180 vistits (written
observations were made) were the students doing anything except sitting at
seats and writing after a brief lecture or teacher led question and answer
session. The lack of activity based learning penetration was in spite of
inspired science facilitators that fully trained teachers.

We've had this going on long enough now that some of the graduates have
managed to make it to the high school and become a member of my physics

Your interviews may have been carefully and objectively gathered but I wonder
if there are other factors besides the "middle school science curriculum":
* Is the neighborhood you serve aging? (average residences growing older)
-This could result in students from less prepared backgounds...
* Do you have ongoing testing (normed and validated) being done that tracks
and verifies the decline of student performance?
* Is there a drain off of quality students in your area to private schools?
-Private school growth is a trend that effects upper level students.
* Is the drop in science skills relative to other areas like Math or English?
-You write as if math "problem solving" is the problem?

The work of Physics educators like Sadler, Hestenes, McDermitt and others
appear to indicate that student engagement and thinking facilitate greater
achievement in Physics. Is this a form of "Inquiry"?

Students seem to not be very interested in science.
Does this mean we need less "inquiry" and more "science"?

Tim

Timothy C. Burgess, Ph.D.
Chair of the Science Department
UMS-Wright Preparatory School
65 North Mobile Street
Mobile, Alabama 36607 Home: (334)-432-3024

E-mail: tburgess@jaguar1.usouthal.edu