From: Bob Sciamanda <trebor@velocity.net>
To: PHYS-L@LISTS.NAU.EDU <PHYS-L@LISTS.NAU.EDU>
Date: Monday, November 23, 1998 10:29 PM
Subject: Re: Conserving Q ? (long)

David Bowman has shown how Ampere's law can be written as the statement
that the charge current is both the curl source of B and the time
derivative source of E; he also gives strong mathematical motivation
for
this interpretation, appealing to the electromagnetic field tensor.

I have seen others not only state this view, but adamantly insist that
this is the only CORRECT interpretation; condemning as heresy the
interpretation that the charge current and the displacement current are
both curl sources of B; David's tone seems more tolerant.

Is this a matter of interpretation; a freely choosable conceptual model
of the mathematics (a chicken and egg question)? Or is there a testable
difference between the two views?

Bob Sciamanda
Physics, Edinboro Univ of PA (ret)
trebor@velocity.net