Re: a question about electronic devices on airplanes

Actually I think that the answer to this question is more prosaic (and
bureacratic) than has been characterised in this list. Gameboys do not
have the appropriate FCC rating for use on a plane. It saves the company
alot of money to go to an easier rating. Our laptops have to comply with
"part 68" of the FCC rules . Look on the back of the gameboy to see if it
complies. I assume that the gameboy complies with part 15 of the rules,
like desktop computers and UNIX workstations. Part 15 allows that a
computer "generates, uses, and can radiate radio frequency energy and
.....may cause harmful interference to radio communications". Although I
cannot find a copy of part 68, I assume that it is far more ridgid. Also,
if I have my history correct (not a sure thing here) I believe that the
laptop manufacturers lobbied the FCC for a compliance rule so that laptops
may be used on airlines and in other such venues.

David Emigh