Re: Modeling data...Linear or direct proportional

At 1:14 PM -0600 11/23/98, Norman Lohstreter wrote:
I usually reserve the word "proportional" to y=m*x and use the word
"linear" when y=m*x+b. To make it more acceptable to all I also say
that "if doubling and tripling of x also doubles and triples y, then the
relation is proportional.

Ludwik is correct. This is also the convention used in Woukshop Physics and
Real Time Physics. I have not checked with the math department on this, but
I have not had any comments from students that they do it any differently in
math class either.

Pete Lohstreter

The last EE course I took (15 years ago) the prof made the point that only

y = mx relations 'should be called linear'.

They (EE's) will often include an 'offset' to make a relationship 'linear'

britton@odie.ncssm.edu you have forgotten everything
(919) 286-3366 x224 Albert Einstein, 1936