Re: Conserving Q ?

At 10:38 11/23/98 -0500, James Wheeler wrote:
The displacement current is introduced so very early in Maxwell's book
that its later inclusion to ensure a divergenceless magnetic field appears
to be natural.

Perhaps the point is that whenever we change the charge inside a
volume, the flux of the electric field through the surface of the volume
also changes. ....

In my view, Ludwik has rediscovered a physical effect that is mentioned in
Faraday's Researches... but in very few other places.

It really does seem like a physical penetration of charge into practical
materials, especially evident in bilayer dielectrics. Faraday ascribed
"charge recovery" to the presence of bilayers.

This is not Maxwell's displacement in my view.

brian whatcott <inet@intellisys.net>
Altus OK